Macro Polo

I wish I had a pool. That way, I could lay out by it soaking up some rays while posting auctions on my Droid and sipping an ice cold Dos Equis. Ahh, the good life.

Actually, my neighbors have a pool and a couple of cute, college-age daughters that are home for the summer. I have yet to work up the courage to strut across the yard and impress them with my dashing dashingness (that’s a word, right?), but it’s on the list of things to do. Eventually. But I digress.

Macros are an integral part of the WoW experience, whether you’re raiding, questing, or gathering herbs. Here are a few that I use or have used in the past:

Ability Consolidation

As you may be able to tell, these macros are mainly for conserving bar space. Screen real estate is at a premier these days, what with the market the way it is and all, so maximizing your interface is quite important.

DS/CS Macro

/cast [nomodifier] Crusader Strike
/cast [modifier:shift] Divine Storm

I like putting Divine Storm and Crusader Strike together because they share a cooldown and, as such, you’ll never use them successively. Also, they are both HP generators when used appropriately, so they just seem to fit together.

TV/Inq Macro

/cast [nomodifier] Templar’s Verdict
/cast [modifier:shift] Inquisition

Much like the DS/CS macro, this macro makes sense because both Templar’s Verdict and Inquisition can be seen as HP finishers. I don’t actually use this one, but that’s more out of habit than anything.

Blessings Macro

/cast [nomodifier] Blessing of Kings
/cast [modifier:shift] Blessing of Might

Seals Macro

/cast [nomodifier] Seal of Truth
/cast [modifier:shift] Seal of Righteousness

Cooldowns

Hitting multiple buttons in sequence can be a hassle in the best of circumstances, and a loss of DPS in the worst. By binding your trinkets, AW, Zealotry, and GoAK all to their own keybinds, you’re wasting time that could be spent moving out of fire or assaulting your foes with more attacks. Here are a few macros I recommend:

AW/Zeal Macro

/use [Trinket]
/cast Zealotry
/cast Avenging Wrath

If you want the technically-correct (the best kind of correct) way to use your cooldowns, here it is.

If, however, you are stubborn like I am, here are a couple of macros to utilize those cooldowns separately:

AW/Trinket Macro

/use [Trinket]
/cast Avenging Wrath

Zeal/TV macro

/cast Zealotry
/cast Templar’s Verdict

This macro will use up that first 3-stack of HP, since Zealotry is off the GCD and all.

Utility & Miscellaneous

Finally, an assortment of my leftover macros that see their use in various circumstances.

Hand of Sacrifice Target of Target Macro

/cast [@targettarget] Hand of Sacrifice

I like this one because it doesn’t tie me into one tank (like a “focus” macro would) and it doesn’t require me to change targets from the boss.

Repentance Focus Macro

/focus target
/cast [@focus] Repentance

I use a variation of this on my mage for Polymorph. Very handy for keeping an eye on CC’ed targets.

Judge Focus Macro

/cast [@focus] Judgement

To maintain two separate stacks of Censure. You’ll have to set your focus before the fight, or quickly during the fight. This macro could even be rolled into your normal Judgement through, you guessed it, a modifier:

/cast [nomodifier] Judgement
/cast [modifier:shift,@focus] Judgement

Do you have any useful macros? Share them in the comments below!

8 Responses to “Macro Polo”

1. Rhidach July 26, 2011 at 10:04 am #

/cast Ardent Defender
    /in 10 /say Still alive! Slash flex!

• Antigen July 26, 2011 at 10:20 am #

You would!

2. Icedragon July 26, 2011 at 12:16 pm #

You can shorten the word “modifier” to “mod” if you need to save space in the macros as well.

My paladin is still little (level 60 prot moo!) but I have several macros set up to consolidate things.

#showtooltip
    /cast [button:1] Seal of Insight; [button:2] Seal of Truth; [button:3] Seal of Righteousness

Button 1 = left click for Seal of Insight
    Button 2 = right click for Seal of Truth
    Button 3 = middle click the scroll wheel for Seal of Righteousness

Since I don’t really switch seals or buffs while in combat, I have them on clickable macros instead of keybinds to save space. I do the same with items like health/mana potions and bandages.

• Antigen July 26, 2011 at 12:57 pm #

You can also eliminate a line in the modifier macros, like so:

/cast [nomodifier] Judgement
      /cast [modifier:shift,@focus] Judgement

becomes:

/cast [modifier:shift,@focus] Judgement; Judgement

I just wanted to spell things out a bit to give those unfamiliar with macros an easier time at understanding some of the syntax.

• Gameldar September 1, 2011 at 3:03 am #

Actually you can shorten that even more – basically you should never need to have the same spell within the same macro if the only difference is some form of modifier. So you end up with
        /cast [mod:shift,@focus][] Judgement

The [] just means revert to default behaviour if the other conditions aren’t met.

The other macros that I have are similar to yours anyway – @focus versions of Hammer of Justice, Rebuke – so that if I have a stun/interrupt target that isn’t my main I can put it on focus and then no worry (HoJ is largely for PvP – but Rebuke has some PvE uses too – maloriak during green phase for example)
        e.g.
        #showtoolip
        /cast [mod:shift,@focus,harm][] Hammer of Justice

and mouseover version of most of the support spells (BoP, WoG, HoF, HoS, Cleanse, and all my heals).
        /cast [@mouseover,help,nodead][] Word of Glory

My generic CC macro is a bit more complex it and looks like this:
        /clearfocus [@focus,dead][@focus,noexists]
        /focus [@mouseover,harm,nodead][harm,nodead]
        /cast [nomod:ctrl,@focus,harm,nodead][] Repentance

What this means is:
        1) If I have a focus and it’s dead (or disappeared) it clears my focus
        2) It sets my focus to my mousever target if they can be harmed, or otherwise my current target
        3)  Cast repentance on my focus target (unless I override that by holding down control – in which case it’ll repentance my current target

Lastly I have a Seal cycle – rather than relying on a mod:
        /castsequence reset=ctrl Seal of Truth, Seal of Righteousness

So I can just cycle between them as I need (the reset=ctrl also means I can force it to go back to truth if I’m holding down control while doing it – i.e. if I’m manually switch to another seal (insight/justice)).

3. Rigear July 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm #

Am I the only one of the few people that doesn’t have their seals and auras on their button bar? I know not exactly “macros” but Opie for the win! Bind it to 1 mouse button, instance access to auras, seals, and RF.

*cackles* MOAR CIRCLES!!!

• Antigen July 26, 2011 at 3:33 pm #

Personally, I need my seals on a quick keybind for switching in combat (think Eyes on the Occu’thar fight). For blessings and RF, though, that seems like a solid option; thanks for the suggestion!

4. Bhrian August 14, 2011 at 11:16 pm #

For those of us too lazy to reprogramme macros every time we change gear, the following macro will activate both your trinks concurrently with AW.
    Trinket/AW Macro: